For the cautious, un-coordinated, girly-girl that she is, LILY has surprisingly learned some typically fearful skills without complaints.
Last fall we got out a bike WITH pedals (instead of the one we took the pedals off of that she had been riding all summer) and told her she could give it a try. I held her for balance just one time, and quickly let go, just to prove to her that she could do it. She's been riding a two wheeler ever since. She has even graduated to a bigger bike that she can barely touch the ground on. I'm still amazed that she figured it out all on her own.
During my pregnancy with Amie, I took the girls swiming once a week (to give my belly a rest). Lily can swim wherever she wants and jump into the deep end. One day on the way to the rec center we were talking about how it doesn't matter how deep the pool is now that she could swim. She could even learn to go into the diving pool. After we changed into swimwear, she started heading for the diving pool so I went along with it figuring we might get her to jump off the edge or something. 'I want to jump off the diving board' she told me. Ok. Not wanting to discourag her I went first just in case and expected her to chicken out once she climbed up. But no, she jumped right off and even did it again without me right after, like it was normal and just something small kids do at the pool.
Last Saturday Tyler took Lily up to Snowbird for some spring skiing only to find that they had closed all of the lower lifts, including the beginner Chick-a-dee. Well, Lily can now claim bragging rights to having skied down from the tram (most of the way). She was a little nervous at the top, especially since the view is so ominous!
Wow Lily, your such a cool kid!
One more thing...
While not so daring, Lily is learning to read, write, and spell. Tyler and I have helped her when she asked questions, but we haven't really done any coaching to teach her. We blame PBS for her self-education. I realized she is getting pretty good at it when I found the word 'SCURL'(squirl) in her piano music. Isn't that a 1st grade level word? Good job Lily.



No comments:
Post a Comment